The Pancake-style holster has been with us for more than 40 years. Generally credited to Roy Baker, this design has been produced by many others, with some variation in style and features.
For more than a year I had an idea in mind for a new method of constructing the pancake-style. As I found time, I produced a few and figured out how to apply welted-seam construction to this holster style.
Prototypes were made for both semi-auto handguns and revolvers, and those have been tested by experienced users. Observations, comments, and criticisms received during that testing have brought this design into production form.
WELTED-SEAM CONSTRUCTION utilizes a third layer of leather sewn between the inner and outer holster panels fore-and-aft. This results in several "enhancements":
1. Increased strength and rigidity, permitting the highest practical ride on the belt for enhanced concealability.
2. Enhanced fit to the handgun is permitted by the welts, moving the stitch-lines closer to the outline of the handgun.
3. Enhanced comfort is provided by the tunnel-style belt attachments fore-and-aft, since only one layer of leather is beneath the belt, lying flat and smooth.
4. The outer shell of the holster is not interrupted by the traditional belt slots, which form lumps that can obstruct the cover garment as it glides over the holstered handgun.
5. Natural sight channel allows the front sight to enter and exit the holster with little or no contact with the leather.
Standard cant is approximately 15 degrees butt-forward, intended for wear just behind the strong-side hip. Neutral cant (vertical carry angle) is optional for some, but not all, handgun models depending on overall size and length.
I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS DEVELOPMENT!
This model will appeal to the professional who carries a handgun daily and requires the ultimate in concealment, along with rapid access and good retention qualities.
Made for revolvers and semi-auto handguns.
Each holster is boned.
Available in black, cordovan brown, and tan.
June, 2010 updates: The Enhanced Pancake model can now be ordered with these options:
Holster lining (smooth or suede leather), $22.00.
Thumb-break retention, $22.00.
Slide Shield (auto pistols), $5.00.
Hammer shield (revolvers), $5.00.